Monday, June 8, 2009

Boring Start, Awesome Finish … Except the Outcome

I have to say, it was pretty damn lucky that the Phils-Dodgers game started at the same time as the Lakers-Magic, because it allowed me to focus on the Phils early and avoid watching a 15-15 first quarter in an NBA Finals game.

That's 30 points for all you math majors out there. Not 30 apiece, as in 30-30. No, 15-15. In an entire quarter. In the Finals. Gross.



Truthfully, I watched more of the Phils game because this thing was looking so ugly, but I did tune in for the fourth quarter in its entirety. And I'm glad I did, especially for those final three minutes of regulation. With the Lakers up 84-81 with less than three to play, J.J. Redick hits a three to tie it. Then Rashard Lewis splits the defense in post to give Orlando a lead. Kobe answers. Turkoglu answers back. Then Pau ties it up again.

Finally, Hedo makes an incredible block on Kobe's game-winning attempt, leaving .6 seconds to set up the perfect inbound play that Courtney Lee clanks.



Really, the entire ending was fantastic, except for the part where Lee missed and the Lakers won in OT to go up 2-0. Rashard and Hedo were beasts for Orlando. Ditto Pau Gasol, Lamar Odom and Kobe for the Lakers. Dwight Howard was good, but the Orlando point guards were a complete mess. Maybe this whole Jameer thing wasn't such a good idea after all.

Still, Orlando had a shot to win it, but Lee couldn't get the job done on honestly one of the most beautifully designed inbound plays I've ever seen.



I'll blame the mask. I hate those things.

BallHype: hype it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment