Tuesday, August 9, 2011

College Football Is Coming

Last night I got a text from Arkansas Fred that simply said, "Big 10 network, 830."

Naturally, I knew some iconic Penn State football game was airing, and when I checked the programming, there it was: Penn State-Ohio State at Beaver Stadium in 2005. That, my friends, was my senior year at Penn State. After an exciting but frustrating freshman year, in which Penn State won nine games and Larry Johnson rushed for more than 2,000 yards, Penn State sucked so hard my sophomore and junior years.

But then 2005 happened, with Michael Robinson and Tony Hunt leading the freshmen wideouts of Derrick Williams, Deon Butler, Jordan Norwood and even cornerback/receiver Justin King and Paul Posluszny winning the Butkus and Bednarik awards on a deep, talented defense. Suddenly, Penn State flipped a switch and went out and won the Big 10, finishing a god damn play away from reaching the National Championship game.

Without a shadow of a doubt, the highlight of that season was this game. Penn State fell behind 3-0, then went on to win 17-10 behind an insanely dominating performance by Posluszny, capped by Tamba Hali's sack/forced fumble on Troy Smith. This game was the original and only legitimate "White Out" at Penn State (though I still wore by blue Brandon Short jersey). It was the single greatest college football game and second best football game period I've ever attended (only behind the Eagles beating the Falcons in the NFC Championship game), and easily the greatest football atmosphere I've ever been a part of. It's hard to describe just how awesome this game was, but here's a hint: Last night, I watched every single second of that replay, some six years later. And loved every minute of it.









Needless to say, this got me all sorts of amped for football season. The regular season is just a few short weeks away.

No comments:

Post a Comment