Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Septa Stinks Links

So let me tell you why I hate Septa.



It seems like every day, it takes me longer and longer to get to work in the morning. The reason? Fucking Septa. The El and Broadstreet Line, which are supposed to run on some sort of actual schedule, simply come and go as they please, schedule be damned. Whereas in the mornings they used to come every 5 minutes, now, I'm lucky if I'm waiting less than 10. This morning was just brutal, as the god damn subway took forever. It's bullshit.

Secondly, the drivers seem to be taking their good old time. It used to routinely take 7 minutes to get from the Girard stop to 15th Street on the El. Now? Almost double. This morning, it took 13 minutes to make that trip. What gives, Septa?

And finally, the thing that bothers me about Septa more than anything is the fact that the El and subway don't run past midnight or 12:30 except for extenuating circumstances, like an extra-inning baseball game. This is Philadelphia, one of the biggest cities in America, and we can't get a subway system that runs 24/7? Fuck you, Septa. Fuck you right in your shitty service face. No wonder sites like this exist.

Onto the links …

-Braves fans had some fun with Jimmy Rollins.



Seriously, that guy sucks so much right now. Frankly, I'm sick of it.

-North Carolina doesn't rebuild. The Tar Heels simply reload, and John Henson is supposed to lead the pack of newcomers.

-SLAM gave the Sixers an A for drafting Jrue Holiday:

Philadelphia 76ers: A

Players Chosen: Jrue Holiday (17)

Sometimes it pays to let other people do all of the work for you while you sit back and reap the benefits. Jrue Holiday had one of the worst draft nights of anyone, but it turned into a great night for the people of Philadelphia. As recently three weeks ago, Holiday was in the mix for the Sacramento Kings at four after impressing them in his workouts, but concerns about a shoulder injury scared a lot of potential suitors away and he started to plummet. The UCLA guard is a lottery talent with a lot of upside as a point guard, trailing perhaps only Ricky Rubio and Brandon Jennings in that department. He has great size (6-4.5) and length (6-7 wingspan) for the position, which will allow him to operate well in traffic and as an on-ball defender. Holiday has a good basketball IQ, knows how to finish around the basket, can run the pick-and-roll very well (a must for the NBA) and is versatile enough to line up at either guard spot. The 76ers needed a point guard with the ability to put the ball in the basket when necessary, especially with Andre Miller as an unrestricted free agent this season, in Holiday they got their man. Certainly taking the unproven youngster over more NBA-ready players like Ty Lawson and Eric Maynor is a role of the dice, but in this case it’s a great one.


-The Pistons are apparently going to sign Charlie Villanueva and Ben Gordon.



I'm pretty sure I'd still rather have Rasheed Wallace and Allen Iverson. Maybe not, but I don't see Gordon and Villanueva getting Detroit back on top, especially since Gordon and Rip Hamilton play the same position with somewhat similar games. Then again, this is the same franchise that drafted Darko over Melo, Wade and Bosh.

-"Why Doug Glanville Loves Phillies Fans":

"When I got traded to Philly, there were a lot of stories about my engineering background and how in my senior thesis I evaluated the transportation feasibility of the Phillies building a new stadium at 30th Street Station. So I did this whole study, and now I'm playing for the team, so it was kind of a cool story about how I designed a stadium. I was really struggling in April the first year I got traded there, and Dykstra was like a god in Philadelphia and I was replacing that guy. Fans weren't too happy with me and my .180 batting average. One of the fans behind me said, 'Hey, Glanville. Why don't you design a stadium you can hit in?'"

When the patron saint speaks, we listen.



Apparently, Glanville is publishing a collection of baseball essays. I cannot wait. Read more of his interview with the Chicago Tribune here:

"Philadelphia was home. I'm a Northeasterner. I grew up in the New York-New Jersey area. I understand the fast pace, the rat race, the edge. Philadelphia was a good fit for me; I went to school there.{+1} In some ways, it was a homecoming when I got traded to Philly. But the fans are certainly edgier. They're going to let you know, good or bad."

-John Wall is pretty good at dunking a basketball.



-Harvey Bars has his own steroid list and man, that shit is awesome.

-I'm not huge on trade rumors. Yes, I do occasionally pass a few along, but I don't just throw them all out there for people to read. However, any trade that could rid the Sixers of Samuel Dalembert and Willie Green, while in return getting the expiring contract of Tracy McGrady, well I'm listening. Of course, I don't see it happening, but it's a nice thought.

-The best idea ever regarding the NFL's overtime rules.

-A little Q&A with Wayne Ellington.

-J.R. Smith may be going to jail for a little this offseason, but that doesn't change the fact that he was a beast in high school.



-Lance Stephenson is headed to Cincinnati.

Honestly, the Phillies are completely shitting the bed right now. It would be a major problem if the rest of the division wasn't equally as horrible, but still, this is getting ridiculous. The starters are no good. The bullpen sucks. Jimmy Rollins really, really sucks. Carlos Ruiz and Pedro Feliz aren't hitting the ball much of late (despite Pedro's go-ahead home run last night), Chris Coste should not be in the majors anymore, Paul Bako wasn't in the majors before the Phils felt obligated to call him up, Eric Brunlett should have never been in the majors to begin with, and everyone seems to be making stupid plays of late.

These guys need to wake the hell up. I know there's still a long, long way to go in the season, but they're starting to remind me of the Flyers playing sloppy and not looking very upset about it to wrap up the season. Damn. Let's get it going guys.

BallHype: hype it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment