Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Stephen Curry Took 3 Shots, Scored 0 Points

Last night, as I watching UNC play, I saw that Stephen Curry was being held in check by Loyola (Md.), scoring no points in the first half. I thought nothing of it because Davidson was still up big.



When I heard he was shut out for the game, I was surprised. I mean, the kid can score with the best of them. Then I saw he only had 3 shots, and I was puzzled. Now I know why:

So, here’s an approach to stop super-duper Davidson star Stephen Curry: Just put two defenders on him. And not just put two defenders on him for a few possessions, double-teaming when you see fit. Put two dudes on him. The entire game.

Why, that’s what Loyola (Md.) tried last night against him. And it worked quite well, as they limited him to zero points on 0-of-3 shooting. Um yeah, they also lost by 30.

“I’ve never seen anything like it,” Davidson coach Bob McKillop told FOXSports.com shortly after the victory. “From the time the ball entered the court, there were two guys on him and they didn’t leave him the entire game.”

“I felt like I was dreaming,” Curry added. “It was the weirdest thing ever.”

[ ... ]

Most players would have called it a nightmare instead of a dream. Not Curry.

Instead of trying to force shots and get his numbers, Curry decided to stand in the corner and take the two defenders with him, allowing his teammates to play four-on-three the entire game.

“I had the best seat in the house,” Curry said.

No comments:

Post a Comment