Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Macrophenomenal

On Friday, I finally picked up my copy of "FreeDarko presents… The Macrophenomenal Pro Basketball Almanac". It only took about a month after receiving one of those dreaded pink post office slips in my mailbox stating that my book had arrived, but was being horded at the post office itself. Great. I really appreciate that, seeing as I can't ever go to the post office since I work. Well, on Friday I was liberated from my jail cell that is my office at 3, finally providing me a chance to pick it up, which I did.



Now, I'd be lying if I told you I've read the book in its entirety already. Truth be told, I don't read books very quickly—not because I am a slow reader, but because I only read on my short commute to work or when I'm taking a shit. The rest of the time I spend scanning the Internet and watching sports. However, I am well into this magnificent steeple of literature, and I am loving every word in it.

Certainly, if you know anything about FreeDarko, you know the writing isn't for everyone. The book is no exception. Shoals, Dr. Lawyer Indian Chief, Belafonte, Brown Recluse and Silverbird do what they do best in the pages of the team's first foray into the world of books.

Now, the book doesn't exactly start out with Philadelphia fans in mind. After all, FreeDarko is all about liberated fandom, not team loyalty. But starting with Kobe Bryant isn't going to endear this manifesto to many who don Sixers jerseys, especially with a section titled: How 81 Trumps 100. Still, if you can expand your fandom mind, this book will make you appreciate basketball more than you ever have.

If you love the NBA, basketball style and individuality, this book is a must-read. Plus, no one can make the NBA sound so scholarly the way the FreeDarko crew can.

No comments:

Post a Comment