Wednesday, September 17, 2008

A Look Back at Stack

I want to personally thank Dime for giving me a reason to post a video of Jerry Stackhouse during his North Carolina days.



In college Stack was a beast, and the Sixers took him 3rd overall behind Joe Smith (Golden State) and Antonio McDyess (Clippers). He also went ahead of college teammate Rasheed Wallace (4th, Washington) and Kevin Garnett (5th, Minnesota), both of whom have won NBA titles. Hindsight is 20/20. But in his rookie season, Stackhouse looked to be every bit worthy of the 3rd overall selection. He averaged 19.2 points per game, tops among all rookies.



I own a Jerry Stackhouse 76ers jersey to this day. Sadly, with the arrival of Allen Iverson in 1996-97, Stackhouse could not co-exist, and he was shipped off. Not that I'm complaining. At all. Allen Iverson is my favorite basketball player to ever walk the earth, and the trade brought in Aaron McKie and my second favorite Sixer of all-time, Theo Ratliff.

Stack has carved out a nice little career, one that still is alive today. But when I really take a look at Jerry Stackhouse, I think about his glory years at UNC. You see, I am a huge UNC basketball fan. Michael Jordan sucked me in, and I make no apologies for that. I've been an avid fan ever since. If you don't believe me, just ask my college roommates what it was like watching the 2005 National Championship game with me around.

Anyway, Stackhouse was a monster in college. One of the best players ever. And with him and Sheed, that team should have won a title. But the thing I really wish I could have seen—Sheed and Stack staying another year. Had they, that duo would have teamed up with Antawn Jamison and Vince Carter with Shammond Williams at the point. I mean, could you imagine a starting five of Rasheed Wallace at center, Jamison at power forward, Vince at small forward, Stack at the 2 and Shammond running point? That team would have won every game by 40 points.

Alas, it never came to be. But man, imagine if it had.

No comments:

Post a Comment